View Single Post
Old 04-27-2013, 12:03 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
MiSoberbio

It's interesting that your morning routine is an important part of your recovery -- I've found that it is for me, as well. While my ex-partner was living with me, I would waste hours and hours in bed with him, but this had nothing to do with sex or intimacy. I would lay there for hours at night, unable to sleep, and wondering why because I typically don't have such problems.... eventually, I would drift to sleep, but it would be a shallow and unproductive kind, so that I'd wake up feeling just as tired, even though I had technically gone to bed 10-12 hours earlier.

And I would often STAY in bed afterwards for long periods, for no reason, as if I was WAITING for something to happen. Or, as if I was scared to start the day, because I knew that it was just a matter of time, of moments, for the next crisis...

I understand now that I was living in a situation of constant fear, and that adrenaline was flooding my brain whenever I was in contact with him. I was living with a ticking bomb, but one that would explode in violence, and then I would pick up the pieces and put them back together, and facilitate the cycle of explosions over and over again. My emotional/spiritual being was out of balance and I had my own chemical imbalance that was affecting my decision-making process; it wasn't just his substance addiction that was in the mix.

After the first couple of weeks without contact with my ex-partner, I noticed that I was sleeping deeply again, and waking up refreshed, after only 7 or so hours. Now I get out of bed quickly, ready to start my day; my productivity has increased dramatically and I feel that I am actually moving forward, and not drowning in tasks. And the muscles around my eyes aren't tight, my heart isn't beating so hard that I can feel it in my throat... I imagine that it's a bit like what people feel after living through wartimes, when the sky is no longer something to fear.

I think this is the beginning of taking care of myself, first, which is something I've never really done before.