View Single Post
Old 04-27-2013, 06:07 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
shauninspain

Hi there and welcome to the forum. It's very good to read that you have made a colossal step forward in that you have recognized that you have a problem with alcohol. That's a fantastic first step towards freedom and health. The forum is a fantastic place to read and post and I have found it to be very beneficial in my own recovery.

Do you have a plan as to how you will remain sober. I say that because it was my experience whilst a daily drinker that the giving up of alcohol, especially after an embarrassing incident, an accident, court appearance or some other such event was tremendously easy.... for about 3-4 days. However, I would always return to it again, almost with no regard to where it might take me. Ultimately it was always back to a dark scary place. Would you consider AA, or some other support system? I could never do it alone, and found AA to be of great help. That said, for 10 years I binge drank, And was in and out of AA because deep deep down I did not want to stop drinking, but only wanted the negative things it caused to stop.

Only through a committed and daily recognition of my disease and what it wanted to do to me (kill me), has enabled me to remain sober, and generally happy.