View Single Post
Old 04-25-2013, 07:04 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  
DG0409

Things I'm thankful for tonight:
  • 17 days alcohol free!!!
  • I had a nice walk
  • I'm half-way ready for tomorrow.
  • I re-stocked up on healthy snacks. I am actually buying healthy food again and eating well. My calories come from real stuff instead of alcohol. As a drunk, I used to buy more food than I'd ever eat too and then drink instead and the food I imagined I would eat would go bad.
  • I'm starting to do more little things that make life better than I did when I was drinking/hungover ALL the time- washing the windshield at the gas station more often, not leaving empty cups or trash in the car when I get out, etc.
  • I actually bought a book today and read a chapter... looking forward to reading more before bed. I can't remember when I last read a book before bed instead of getting trashed drunk.
  • I went for a walk after I got into my motel room tonight. It used to be when I traveled, I'd never see anything outside the motel room after I got in.
  • I managed to make a 'to-do' list and get everything crossed-off. Planning the day is becoming easier again. I'm starting to be productive again.
  • I was moderately productive so far as work was concerned.
  • I really have a pretty good life, all things considered. I'm a lot better off than tons of other people, and I'm really very fortunate for what I have. Sometimes I forget this, but when I was out walking, I was walking through a neighborhood that isn't as nice as mine and it made me remember how fortunate I really am for my life.
  • Tomorrow will be day 18. I have a productive day at work scheduled and no choice but to stick to it, so I know I'll get a lot done. I'm prepared with healthy snacks so that I won't end up starving and cravey while stressed & busy.
  • It's almost bed-time and I have the presence of mind to actually think things, not just pass-out/fall asleep really drunk. More than that, I can think positive thoughts about tomorrow and I've actually prepared for it somewhat so it should be a good day.
  • I had a cool thing happen today. I was about to take off from my motel and I was counting my change wondering if I had enough to take the toll roads or if I needed to get cash somewhere. A couple of guys came up and asked if I had jumper cables and if I'd help them jump their car. Most of the time, I don't 'help' people who come up to me asking me for something when I'm traveling. But generally they're asking for money and I don't have any extra since I spent it all on alcohol. They were a little rough looking, but I agreed to give them a jump... I figure it's good karma and I'll need a favor from somebody else someday when I'm stranded. Afterward, they gave me a few dollars for my trouble and then I knew I had enough money for the toll road.