View Single Post
Old 04-25-2013, 05:07 PM
  # 343 (permalink)  
CeciliaV

Well, no go on the appointment with the counselor. AH cancelled it. Said that since he's about to leave rehab, it would make more sense at this point to meet with someone with whom we'll be able to meet again and have some continuity. Makes sense I guess, but I was kind of looking forward to the session.

And AH also has made a change to his living arrangements - he dropped off the deposit check with his second choice place yesterday, but he got a call today from his first choice saying a bed had opened up. SO he put on his big boy pants, made some calls, and arranged to get the deposit check back from the second choice and arranged to stay at his first choice. I have to say, I'm somewhat impressed that he took care of this all by himself. I'm not going to throw him a party or anything for it, but it's refreshing to see him doing things that he traditionally would ask me for help with.

Anywho, I am glad he was able to get into his first choice of sober living facilities. He knows a couple people there already (they were in his rehab facility), and it's also closer to his work (good for him) and closer to home (10-15 minutes away...good for me, cuz he'll likely be able to help with the dog on my late work days!). It's also a bit less expensive than the other place, so that's got my inner accountant happy as well.

Enough about him, though - back to me! Work is CRAZY right now. I was juuuuust getting my feet under me & getting caught up, but it looks like I'll be taking on a new role that I'll really like. There's so much flux going on though, and it's a little dizzying. Restructuring. New responsibilities. New projects. I've also had a few fiascoes rear their ugly heads this week, but I've been able to manage them and massage some unhappy customers back into a happy place (or at least a not-as-unhappy place).

I feel fantastic and overwhelmed and excited and afraid all at the same time. But it's mostly the fantastic and excited that I'm trying to focus on. I have been complacent for some time at work. I've been pushing to get a title bump (and a salary bump, hello!) since I have responsibilities multiple salary grades above my title. According to my job title, I should be a level one tech person that needs constant supervision, when in reality, the level one folks escalate things to me, I manage several key services, and my manager has flat out told me that she loves that she doesn't need to really manage me!

With a new assignment and lots of new responsibilities coming up, there's a much better chance that I'll be able to get that title/money bump - I'm not sure when, and I'm not even sure it will happen (hopefully the backing of my manager and the department head will help!), but at least I'll be doing stuff that I really like and getting some good experience and having some real impact at work. The projects I'm working on now and in the near future will really shape the way we work and hopefully help to improve the services provided. I'm really excited about that prospect. I love to troubleshoot, but I want to get out of front-line help desk troubleshooting and move on to service management and troubleshooting processes, communication, service provision, etc. This is going to be a crazy next few months as all this restructuring and reassignment goes on, and the transition will be hairy and scary at times, but I'm really excited to dig my heels in and do some great work that will really make an impact and that will exercise & excite my brain.