View Single Post
Old 04-25-2013, 08:30 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
LoveMeNow
Getting there!!

My husband became addicted to percocets after being prescribed them over an extended period of time. He eventually sought out other means of obtaining them. His addiction progressed rapidly.

Me? I am codependent, most likely from childhood, when my parents divorced and I decided I needed to take sides and "protect" my mother. Although, my mother discouraged my attitude and behavior, I still felt the need to help "balance the power" because my father appeared to be far more "powerful" financially, professionally and mentally. I underestimated my mother's strength.

My husband's addiction magnified my codependency issues and they progressed rapidly without me even knowing I was codependent. Thankfully, I found SR and a good therapist to help me see what I could not.

Both my husband and I started working our own recoveries almost a year ago. It has not been a straight and easy process for either of us. But just for today, I am happy, i have found peace and have stopped being afraid of the unknown or the future. I am finally learning to live in today.