Thread: New Here
View Single Post
Old 04-25-2013, 04:29 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
DG0409

Originally Posted by Bruce292 View Post
I'm new here. I haven't had a drink for a month after years and years of steady drinking. This first month hasn't been easy. I love to go to hear live music. Love it. I go to a farm where they hold concerts every other week. This was one of my favorite places to get wasted. I went last week and was furious with the behavior of my "friends" who got wasted. I kept telling myself it was because they were wasted but I know it was because I was sober. They weren't doing anything differently. I also realized the band wasn't that great ... before I doubt I would have cared. On to another day.
Way to go on a month!!

I saw somebody else on here mention how they went to this place they used to listen to music a lot drunk and was surprised to find the band sucked. It's amazing how alcohol changes our perspective on things.

Originally Posted by bigsombrero View Post
Hi Bruce,

Nice work on the 1 month. I am just 9 months ahead of you so I can speak based on recent experience. When I first got back in the 'real world' after initial recovery, I thought the perfect world would be for me to go back to my daily routine and enjoy everything WITHOUT alcohol. I found that trying to do these things only made me more frustrated. I went to a bar one night with friends and drank club soda. I went to watch a football game at a buddy's house and watched them drink beers while I had a soda. NONE of this was fun. At all. And I thought something was wrong with me.

I wish I'd have listened more when they tell you your whole life needs to change in order to find happiness. Searching for reliable outlets for fun in old places doesn't work for me. I had to admit that by giving up alcohol, I was giving up almost ALL of my social activities that I'd learned. No more concerts, no more late nights going out, no more afternoons with friends watching Saturday ball games.

I've finally been able to accept that part of my life is over. I'm still in my 30's, so yeah it's been tough to come to that point. But refreshing. It's like finally accepting that your leg won't grow back - you can wish and try and hope, but your best bet is to start rehabbing and working on moving forward with what you have. It's a tricky world out there and I can't say it's all been rainbows and roses and naked ladies. Alas there have been some trying times, mental struggles, ups and downs. Thank God I'm going through all of it sober.

As the other poster said, hang in there. I'd also like to add "branch out" to that recommendation. We alcoholics crave stimulation, and a bottle is an easy way to get that high. Try finding something that will amaze you even if you're sober - for me it's been travel and study/self-education. Do something that scares you. It helps fill that void and also might help you find a new and unexpected outlet and path for your life. Good luck, we are all in this together and I'm pulling for you!
This is a great post.