View Single Post
Old 04-24-2013, 03:40 PM
  # 342 (permalink)  
CeciliaV

Sooooo, AH has decided on a sober living facility and will be moving there this Saturday - wow! He had a pass from rehab on Monday to see two places. One was kinda grimey and had an opening, and the other he really liked but was full (and he knows two other people from rehab there, too). So he got another pass on Tuesday to go visit two more places - one was "meh" and the other was pretty nice & happened to have an opening, so he decided to go back there today and put down his deposit & make plans for move in this weekend.

Part of me can't even believe this is actually happening! I'm still really glad that I stuck with my decision to not have him come home right after rehab, but it's all so surreal. I know it's the right choice, but I wish it was a choice I didn't have to make. I'm resisting the urge to offer to help him with the transition from rehab to sober living, and MAN it's hard! He's got most of the belongings he'll need, and he apparently needs to bring a combination lockbox with him to store his meds in, but since he's got his car with him at rehab, he can do this all on his own and can pick up whatever else he needs. I have to keep reminding myself that he's a grown man who's fully capable of taking care of himself if he wishes to.

I also spoke with my mom last night for a bit. I told her a few days ago that AH would be going to a sober living facility post-rehab, and she was pretty pleased to hear it - mostly because it was my idea and because it's so I can focus on me more without distractions and with less of a chance of me falling back into my old ways. She told me last night that she's really proud of me for how I'm handling everything and that I'm a much better person than she is (she'd have kicked him out long ago). I told her that I don't think I'm a better person than her or anyone else - just trying to do my best in a bad situation and to make the best I can of it. I consider life to be a journey - sometimes the path we find ourselves on isn't one that we would necessarily choose, but it may be one that we need and/or can learn something from. So I'm doing my damnedest to learn and grow from this whole "unscheduled detour" of living with and loving a A.

Oh, and on the topic of me taking care of me, I scheduled my follow up appointment with my doc for this Friday. Going to check in to see how the meds are doing and pick up my referrals for a dermatologist & for counseling. I've actually been feeling a bit better & a little less tired the last couple days, so that's good. Getting my arse to bed a bit earlier and taking my meds a smidgen later in the day seem to be helping a little. I think that once I get on a regular sleep schedule for a couple weeks and once my body gets used to the meds, I'll be doing a-okay.

And hopefully I'll actually be able to finally meet AH's counselor tomorrow - so far, we're still on schedule for meeting tomorrow evening. Again, given the past scheduling difficulties, I'm not holding my breath for it to happen, but it *would* be nice to have a meeting with AH and her to check in.