View Single Post
Old 04-24-2013, 02:10 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
MamaKit

"Last night I asked him what I needed to do to help. What to do when he drinks. How should I act? What should I say? Do I get angry? Do I get sad? Do I leave? I have simply taken the silent path, practically ignoring what I see and what causes me pain - because I don't know what to do to help. He told me that I can't do anything, it's not my place. Then he told me that talking to me about it makes him want to drink"

Stiney,
Welcome to SR!
I'm sorry for what brings you here, but glad that you found us. There is so much wonderful information and wisdom on this board. Read the stickys above and learn all you can. It sounds like a good mantra for right now is the three C's - You didn't cause it. You can't cure it. You can't control it.

He's pretty much confirmed that for you. You are not responsible for him and the choices he is making. He has to do this on his own. The best thing for you is to take care of yourself and let him find his own path....it sounds like he is open to a path of recovery, which is good. Be careful not to let yourself get sucked into being the scapegoat for his behavior or being the reason that he drinks. YOU ARE NOT!

There are so many of us here on SR that have been through what you are going through now. Some of us are just at the beginning of understanding like you, some in the middle and some who have such inspirational stories of recovery. Rest assured you will find support here.

Keep posting, we get it!
Hugs,
MamaKit