Old 12-13-2004, 07:18 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
prodigal

Question: What would YOU do in my financial situation???

Here's the deal. Everything is in separate names (except my car). The house is HIS, my credit cards (debt) are MINE, and his credits cards (debt) are HIS. ON THE OTHER HAND ... his investments (come to over $500,000 easily, with about $125,000 of that being very liquid) are in HIS name. I have approximately $17,000 in mutual funds, about $100 in a checking account, and $10 in a savings account (through my credit union). Can't take the job at the gourmet shop I was offered - both knees need surgery as of 1/05 - I cannot stand for long, nor can I squat down. I went for two full-time job interviews - didn't get the jobs (probably because I've been unemployed for almost two years). Can apply for temp work but need to wait until afte the surgery in a couple weeks.

I know the law. I also know what it is like to be in an equitable property state. He doesn't owe me squat diddly - married less than three years, regardless of the fact that I took care of his house, his bills and his dog the nine months he was in Iraq. The judge don't care a bit about that ... can I "support" myself. Yeah, if my AH pays all my debts and I make about $50K a year in order to have a decent apartment in this area of the country, and try to sock away enough $$ so I can work long enough to afford to have a halfway decent burial!

I quit my job because we thought he was going to stay stateside. Two days after I quit, he ended up in a 28-day detox, then the last week in detox he got orders to ship out to Kuwait!!! Talk about a mess!

Yes, I could stand the chance of him paying all my debts off, but then I have to figure out a way from a job I get (probably pay at the most $40K) to have movers move me, put a deposit on an apartment, buy bedroom furniture (I no longer have any because I gave it away when I moved in with him), and some modest dining room furniture (gave that away too). I don't want to go back into debt if I move out because I have to buy this stuff.

I also know judges .... they can go either way and be generous or say "tough luck."

What would you do given my financial situation and having to tolerate living with a maniac who is basically drunk every waking hour?

Suggestion: Do whatever it takes to get a job in mid-February (when my knees are healed) and stuff every cent I make into short-term funds that are liquid? Sue him for part of his "fortune"? Go to a shelter? (Pets aren't allowed and I'm not letting go of my two cats.)

Like I said, I know domestic law fairly well, and the scales are tipped waaayyy in his favor because we have no joint assets, have no children, and have not been married for a long time.

So ... WHAT WOULD YOU DO????