View Single Post
Old 04-21-2013, 04:27 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
bslashc

I totally feel you, Jill. It's been just over a year into my initial sobriety (I say initial because as time went on and I started feeling the pressures of life sober, my doctors started putting me on other stuff, which I'm trying to come off now). I've had to drop so many people from my past. I've had to start a new life, almost in hiding because of a horrible relationship that turned explosively abusive in the end. I had to run away from people I realized were jealous of me and bitter that I was able to clean up and start putting the pieces back together. The scars from family issues are now exposed and dealing with it sober puts me back to the little girl version of me. I live alone now. Many people say you need to be alone sometimes to figure yourself out, but sometimes I think I should have held onto a few people because to be alone with my thoughts has been disastrous at times. You have to try to do something. I'm extremely shy and have never actually approached someone in my life. They always have to come up to me or smile, wave, something before I can even smile back.

If you have a little bit of an outgoing personality, I would say try to get out and do some healthy activities and don't fear "rejection". It's not about you most of the time, it's about the person rejecting. Trust me I know, because I have blocked people access because I was afraid of myself or felt extra ugly that day, etc. Try new things, try old things you didn't get to do because of the addiction. No matter what, don't let negative thoughts get ahold of you. You have to kick them out as soon as they try to enter. If you have to wear a bracelet or something to remind yourself, do it. Although I'm not in my ideal life situation I know I've been very lucky with the few blessings/people that came into my life. And I know that's only because there is a part of me fighting to be positive in my mind which is overridden with negative thoughts from childhood to now.

P.S. I got a dog when it was nearly a year of me being sober. Yes, he has helped, but it is a BIG responsibility! Definitely life-changing! I don't go out as much because of him. This is a good and bad thing. Good because I don't want to stay out late knowing he'll be whining by 6am, and bad because even little healthy things are hard to do now (like take public classes instead of doing stuff at home) because I don't want to leave him for too long. Definitely do your research first on that one I say!!! Good luck! Please feel better.