View Single Post
Old 04-20-2013, 06:42 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
nimeton

Originally Posted by KeyHeart View Post
Alcoholism IS a mental problem if you ask me. Let me ask you, you say you love being drunk. You didn't mention any bad side effects. How are your relationships? Do you get crippling hangovers? Are you a blackout drunk?
Everyone here loves getting drunk, but the ones who succeed in quitting are the ones who hate the consequences more. Good luck to you!
This pretty much sums up how I feel. I don't blackout, although with the incident 8 months ago, I wish I did. I really don't like to think about it and would have had a lot of explaining to do to my employer/family had I been caught. I wasn't, but it scared the living crap out of me that I put myself in that situation in the first place. I'm a pretty controlled person when I'm sober.

The wife has many hardcore alcoholics in her family, so my drinking doesn't seem like a big deal to her. I used to wake up on Saturday and Sunday morning grumpy and feeling like ****. I'd go work in the garage until 5 or 6 when I could drink again. I doubt this is unusual.

I still love working in the garage, but get twice as much done now since I can start at 9 or 10 in the morning instead of 1 in the afternoon.

I hate the consequences more, which is why I quit. On a certain level, it's kind of scary that I would miss something so destructive. I guess it comes down you're to battling your own mind, which knows all your weaknesses/desires. That's a very powerful enemy.

I really wish I could just drink sometimes and leave it at that, but I'm afraid the heavy drinking would slowly creep back in.