View Single Post
Old 04-19-2013, 11:58 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
nimeton

looking for advice

Not sure if I belong here or not. Skimming through some of the other threads here, that seems like a common theme here.

Anyway, about 8 months ago I had a mental crash (that's totally different story) and realized that I really had been drinking too much for the last 15 years. So I quit, and then started drinking again, but much less than I had before.

I used to drink 2-3 drinks a night and then get pretty drunk on Friday and Saturday. Always held a job. Never drove drunk.

About 4 months ago my doctor told me that she thinks I'm an alcoholic. I haven't drank since.

I don't doubt that I was drinking too much, but I can quit drinking if I have to drive, etc. This leads me to think my problem is mental.

Having said all that, despite all the problems alcohol gave me, I still miss it. I feel like I'm grieving for the stuff and going through the "negotiating" stage. Hell, just writing about it makes me want to get a beer right now, even though my life is much better, and I'm much happier, without it.

So I guess I answered my own question; yeah, I do have a problem. Do the cravings ever go away?

I quit smoking many years ago and this seems much harder. Drinking was what I did for many years, and I love being drunk.

Any feedback is welcome. I'm sure that nothing anyone says here could be any harsher than what I've told myself.