View Single Post
Old 04-19-2013, 10:26 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
DryRoastJim

Originally Posted by squigglyline View Post
I am having health problems and it would be smart for me to not consume alcohol so much but I find myself climbing the walls if I don't. Maybe it's all in my head? I spend a lot of time alone, I always have, so drinking alone is pretty standard.
2 things, if you do have health problems and they relate to drinking and you won't quit drinking then you could be an alcoholic.

I just wonder what are the rules what constitutes if you are an alcoholic or not? I mean wanting help is a sign, and realizing it isn't easy to avoid alcohol is a sign, but what sort of people can have a drink most days and they are ok? are there alcoholics out there who never hurt anyone or got arrested but they just survive with alcohol being a part of their lives?
I know the word functioning alcoholic but that seems to only mean hold down a job- and I know full blown alcoholics that start drinking at 11am who hold high positions, so that confuses me too.
There can be no definition for this as "alcoholism" is a personal thing. For example, a person who doesn't drink finds them self at a staff party. This person consumes 3 beers, drives into post and totals the car. The person is charged with whatever vehicle infractions and an impaired. Is this person an alcoholic? By the "standards" no.

You are young enough that being labeled an alcoholic doesn't make sense or seems too old fashion. The term alcoholic may need to be updated.

Some of the symptoms you describe could be considered withdrawal, but does that make you an alcoholic?

just looking for clarification I guess and wondering if I have a problem.
There is a pretty good answer to this, if you think you have a problem, you have a problem. It is the severity and willingness to correct the problem that only you can decide, only you can decide if you are an "alcoholic" or not.

Take care.