View Single Post
Old 04-19-2013, 09:45 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
gs45

Is he an alcoholic?

I am really worried about my partner's drinking habits but I seem to be the only one that is, I don't think his family have any idea how much he is drinking and I need someone to tell me if I am being stupid or if I have reason to be worried.

He goes to the pub 3-5 times a week and often goes before or around 5 pm and doesn't leave until closing or later (he goes to friends houses and continues drinking). He does this every week even though we don't have a lot of money and when I ask him to stop he gets really defensive and says that it is the only time he spends with his friends. If I go to the pub with him he normally drinks 5-6 pints of lager but I get the feeling that this is more when he goes out alone. Recently I have noticed that he seems to be getting more and more moody, especially on days before he goes to the pub. I also know for a fact that he has lied and told me he was not at the pub when he was on several occasions (twice this week alone). I also know that he has started to do things that are uncharacteristic for him like drinking alone in the house if he doesn't go to the pub and even driving under the influence which he was 1000% against when we met.

His drinking really hurts me because it comes before anything else, even things he wants (like the new car he's been saving for for years) and its ruining our relationship. He never gets violent or anything but he definitely has a shorter fuse these days.

I don't know if he has a problem or if he's just fallen out of love with me but I need some advice because its wearing me down.

Thanks in advance