View Single Post
Old 04-18-2013, 02:51 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Gottalife
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

Hi Seabreeze, welcome.

I can offer you some hope. I got sober aged 22 and have not needed to drink since 1980. Like you I initially thought there was some religious "catch" with AA and for some reason that I can't explain, I was very anti the God idea.

After 33 years in AA I can confirm there is nothing religious about it. It is a spiritual means of recovery that can fit with any religion or, as in my case, no religion. However, I have over the years developed a concept of a higher power that makes sense to me, and this seems to be perfectly adequate for the AA program to work in my life.

At 22 I was desperate, almost at deaths door. I had tried every other non-spiritual remedy and had run out of options. I believe I had reached a point where I was beyond human aid in the usual sense. The only remaining option for me was spiritual help which I accepted willingly.

Not every problem drinker reaches this point, in fact most don't. You may well be one who can recover without spiritual help, but if you find you can't, AA will still be there for you.