View Single Post
Old 04-18-2013, 12:17 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Dib42

Originally Posted by Lyingdog View Post
If God would grant me one answered pray emediatly it would be for my wife to support me and go to meetings to show it. I have not ever felt so alone in my life! It hurts so bad!
Go to the meetings. Get your act together. Take back control of your life. And if its in God's plans, your wife will support you.

My dad was an alcoholic too, my mom stuck with him for several years, through several binges (and my dad's binges were epic and the stuff of legend in this town.) but there is only so much waivering you can expect another person to take. You can only say you're going to quit, and keep drinking for so long before a person deems you unreliable, and has to start fending for themselves. My mom hit a point like that and divorced my dad. A few years later, my Dad sobered up, but my mom didn't trust him and moved on with her life. 20 years later, my dad has been on numerous binges, and numerous years back to back of sobriety. So my Mom was right. She tried to support him, but you can only support someone and have them return to drinking so many times before it becomes futile/insane. (doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results)

Your battle is yours and yours alone, you'll meet several people who'll support you along the way. Some will turn into great friends, some will return to a drunk's way of life. Sometimes you'll face great temptation and you'll be alone.

I find in the great scheme of things, it helps to remember that I am not unique, there are millions of people going through the exact same temptations I am. So in a sense, you're not alone. But the choice to drink or not to drink belongs to you.