Old 04-17-2013, 08:22 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
DrunkTx

I think there is lots of great advice re: exercise, decaf teas, etc. They all work for me. I do want to share one contrarian thought though. I spent the better part of my adult life unable to stay awake past 9ish PM. First due to anxiety, then due to alcohol and finally due to alcohol induced anxiety that just wiped me out at night - you would think the alcohol reduced the anxiety, but we all know the true story. One of the greatest benefits I have of my 16 month sobriety? I can now stay up past 9. Of course I panicked at first too, about falling asleep at 2 or 3 am only to have to wake up at 6:30am. But I realized that on my worst morning, I felt better than I did after 3-4 glasses of wine and waking up groggy headed. I was finally able to watch evening shows, finish work I procrastinated with (that caused further anxiety), chat with my wife, etc. .................So my recommendation, maybe tell her to stop stressing the late nights at least initially, and enjoy all the new things she can do during a productive night life. I'm still astounded by how fun staying awake can be.