View Single Post
Old 04-16-2013, 08:22 PM
  # 204 (permalink)  
Emily2002

Hi IdeaTrack! So glad you came back, and I think you're right... reading and posting are good to keep you on the right path. I've made it a few months several times but caved after feeling just a bit too comfortable and far removed from memories of my dependence. Coming to SR as often as possible keeps me grounded in my reality. Also... I'm just rebounding from the cold/flu symptoms you describe. Had a fever for a whole week, so if yours happens to persist... or gets worse, get it checked out. Take care of yourself!

JanieBB ... Good for you!!!! Yay for being proactive and feeling the difference with regard to your commitment this time. I feel that way, too, and am tryng to focus on how strong I feel, how GOOD. Thinking about all the plusses of staying sober rather than about what I'm "supposedly" missing is keeping me going. Have you come up with a non-alcoholic drink or two you enjoy? I really like half seltzer & half tonic water with a lot of lemon and lime on ice as well as extra spicy Virgin Marys. Oh, and I like cole cranberry juice with tonic water, too, in a wine glass.

Geo-caching sounds like fun, mmhoule!!! I think we'll have to try that!

PurpleLily: Congratulations on your 9 days. Two out of my four have diagnosed ADD and one... severe anxiety, so constant pacing. I caught myself being very short-tempered with my kids, too. Being sober helps me to check myself, and when I don't catch myself in time... I've found that an apology afterwards goes a long way. Sometimes it's even opened up avenues for some really good open communication. I keep telling myself that a sober mom is a better mom, one who can listen and advocate for her children. lol... We'll NEVER be perfect, but we can try to come pretty darned close, right?

Oh Beavis, I hope you get chance to meet some friends as time goes on. Are you able to join a gym, volunteer at school, or join a book club? I don't know what you enjoy, but I'm finding that I want to stay "good" busy these days (sober) rather than staying here at home feeling remorse about drinking, slabbed out in front of the boob tube. My daughter laughed at me when I bought a game over the weekend so we can play after dinner. I can focus more now on my family rather than on self-medicating. Let's keep it up together, ok?

Dorris, what kinds of books do you like to read? I LOVE to read, myself, so perhaps I can recommend a few. When I'm stuck, I sometimes spend some time perusing library shelves, pulling out a few, and reading dust jackets. If I take two or three, I don't feel bad about ditching the ones I don't get into.

Keep up the good work, Duffster!!! And you're right, it's just not worth it to give in. I'm finding that my anxiety and depression are getting a little bit better now that I'm at two weeks. Of course, I'm beginning to sleep a bit better, too, so that could be part of it. That, and i'm reminding myself to BREATHE.

Oh boy... just looked at the time. And here I was taking about getting enough rest.... SO.... Good night, all. Will pray for us all as my head hits the pillow.

STAY STRONG and BELIEVE.