View Single Post
Old 04-16-2013, 05:32 AM
  # 38 (permalink)  
DG0409

Day 8

Well, on to day 8!! I am so proud of myself for 1 week no drinking. It feels good to have a little time done with. Day 8 is better than Day 1 was. I don't feel hung-over. I feel like this week will be better than last week. I am looking forward to things again a little. I am starting to get my life put back together. I am starting to get used to everything. This is like moving to a different country or something: it's like NOTHING is the same. I notice everything that's different about being sober than drunk.

Yesterday, I spent a while lying in the grass by this pond out in the country by this little farm-house in Texas. I watched the sky and the new spring-green leaves on the tree. I listened to the birds and the wind and the water. The feeling is gone now that I'm staring at my computer screen, but it felt like the most peaceful serene thing ever at the time. It was healing. It made me feel like everything was ok. It made me feel like a child again.

The rest of the day wasn't all as peaceful or perfect: there were times I 'wanted' a drink. Not that I think I really wanted one at those times, just that it's hard for it not to pop into my head. Like as soon as I got in for the night, it seemed like it should be time to pour a drink 'to relax', and I felt like, 'What am I going to do now?' It was nice to not drink then though because later I was still sober and I was able to go for a drive to some hiking trails and go for a short hike by the lake.

Yesterday, I took the day off work to celebrate being quit a week and take care of some things like getting my taxes sent off. I went and had my hair cut for the first time in more than a year. It was nice. I don't go do that much, due to a bit of social anxiety and the fact that I was always too busy drinking or waking-up hungover if I wasn't busy drinking. And it looks super cute- I told the girl just to make it look good since I don't really know much about hair and she did a great job. I know normal people go get their hair cut all the time, so I don't know if I can quite explain what it meant or what I'm saying here. I guess it's important because it's like I feel like I'm rejoining the ranks of normal people. It's amazing all of the things an addiction can affect in your life after a while.

Well, enough rambling for now, although it does help with processing everything, at least for me.

Time to make the most of today!