Old 04-16-2013, 05:28 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  
LexieCat
A work in progress

NewComer,

This is a very old thread, started in 2005, and the last post was in 2011. If you are just looking for someone to validate your relationship, I suggest your change your focus and focus on your recovery. I think relationships between newcomers and people with "time" is generally a bad idea--in fact, I agree with the suggestion that people new to recovery avoid all new relationships for a year. I know couples in AA who have waited until the newly sober one was a year sober before dating.

But if you are determined to disregard that suggestion, then I suggest you work on the FACT that many people are going to disapprove. It's called living life on life's terms. But whatever you do, don't allow your relationship--or other people's feelings about it--derail your recovery. That is within YOUR power, even if other people's reactions are not.

I suggest you might get more helpful responses over on the alcoholism forums. We do have quite a few people in recovery from alcoholism (I'm four and a half years sober), but this forum is primarily for friends and family of alcoholics. You are welcome here--just think you might get more helpful responses on the other forums.