View Single Post
Old 04-16-2013, 02:38 AM
  # 395 (permalink)  
bepresent

Yeah Toots, lots to think about with your potential move! But you're right - at least SR will be a constant.

Just speaking from my own point of view, as someone who transplanted from the States nine years ago - it is hard, way harder than I ever thought it would be!!! I moved over when I was 21 and young and naive (sorry Ben, only speaking for myself as a 21-year-old ). I didn't realise how difficult it would be, was just in love and blindly following my heart. My husband-to-be and I had an agreement that I would move to the UK for five years, and then we would move back to the States together. In theory, that move should have happened four years ago, but due to complicated work- and finance-related reasons we simply can't do it. Just make sure you don't move and then get stuck over there like I did! Even if it is for a guaranteed limited time only, it's a bit weird knowing (or in my case believing incorrectly, haha!) that you're only living in a place temporarily - you don't put down roots as permanently as you might otherwise, and life sort of seems to go into a limbo state. I guess it's sort of a self-preservation thing to make leaving easier when the time comes.

Anyway, that's just my perspective and experience - please ignore if not helpful. In any case Toots, you're a very strong and positive person, and I'm sure you'll make the most of the experience if you do go! It could be a grand adventure! And Skyping makes a huge difference - we Skype with my family at least once a week.

I guess Lifetplant would have some thoughts on this too as it sounds like her situation has some similarities to mine....