Old 04-13-2013, 08:14 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
LoveMeNow
Getting there!!

A cautionary tale for those with children!!

Just wanted to share a little update. It's wont be easy to read for some.

My girlfriend married a wonderful man. This wonderful man had a work related accident, became addicted to pills, then later to crack. He claims he just wanted to "try" it with a coworker but was quickly sucked into a life of hell. It's been over 10 years of him trying to break free from its grip.

She has one son. A beautiful, smart, athletic kid that never caused her a day of heartache. Together they rode the roller coaster of addiction, recovery, relapse and all the insanity and pain that accompanies loving an addict, who inevitably went back out.

Eventually, she packed her son up and moved out. They have gone no contact with his father because as of today, he still actively using. Her son refused alateen and counseling. She respected his wishes but let him know the offer was always available.

After they moved out, her son told her he finally felt peace and it felt strange. A few months later, He started having severe panic attacks. He will be withdrawing from college after this semester to take some time to work on himself. He is now seeing a therapist. Today, he broke down and cried about only speaking to his father twice in 8 months. His pain is raw. He always had such compassion but he is now feeling the anger of losing his father, a man he adored, to addiction.

She, however, is riddled with guilt, asking over and over...."why didn't I get my son out of there sooner? How could I have allowed him to live with such insanity? I was the only stable parent he had and I failed him. I should have insisted on counseling." The would of, should of, could of are eating her alive.

Addiction, it's a family disease.