View Single Post
Old 04-13-2013, 11:20 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
bluebelle

I'm sorry you are going through this heartache. I'm glad you found a meeting. Have you considered a counselor? I know how painful it is to be in a break up with somebody who you are madly in love with. You think that you will never find anybody that you are that close to or have that bond with. It is possible to move on! Right now, you are texting him daily, which makes it hard to move on. Each time you hear from him, it can make it harder to let go. He is a drug addict, so the love of his life is heroin. That might sound painful, but it is true. My bf is currently in recovery from opiates (pain pills). He has admitted that opiates were his best friend, and that he neglected our relationship. Recovery for the addict is a long, hard road. It's not just stopping the drug. They need to do a lot of hard work on their own. My step-daughter is also a heroin addict. She has gone to many rehabs, jail, etc., and is still in active addiction. It is a really hard thing to watch. I have to detach because I can't have a front-row seat to her addiction. It hurts me, and doesn't help her.

As others have said, you can't love people out of an addiction. If you could, our loved ones would be clean.

I know you are sad and depressed, but what can you do to make yourself feel a little bit better? Bubble bath with candles by the bathtub? Go for a bike ride? When I broke up with my sex-addict bf at 24, I couldn't eat. I lost so much weight, and it took awhile to feel better. But, I did get better. I met new people. I eventually learned to have fun on my own. What is your family background? My alcoholic father was never around, so I had some serious male abandonment issues. I think it made it much harder for me to deal with the break up because I was dealing with unresolved issues from growing up without a father and with a drug addict mother. However, I know that healing is possible, and things can get better for you.

Are you still in school? If so, you could start with a counselor at your school. Most colleges have free counseling resources. Take care.