View Single Post
Old 04-13-2013, 11:09 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
ToddE1

[QUOTE=Nonsensical;3914998]What does that mean, literally?

The AV says something absurd, I chuckle to myself, think WTF? and then get back to what ever I was doing. Sometimes I think WTF? for a few minutes because it's so absurd. Sometimes I think WTF? for long enough to go to my computer and type a post thinking maybe someone here might have some particular insight.

Is there some other shut the door / shut it down process I am missing?

Seems like pretty much the same thing, to me. I don't generally even let an AV though fully form though. Usually just shoo them away. Just mental practice. We all have different filters, ways of dealing with them, but the basic concept is the same I think.

I don't know if it's a SMART technique or not, but I picked it up from meetings there, is the "Stop Thought" technique. The basic idea is if you have a thought forming or already fully formed like an urge or other thought that could lead towards drinking or whatever down that road, you yell "STOP" in your mind (or out loud I suppose if your alone). I don't actually yell stop in my mind, just shake the though free. Sometimes I will yell "No" in my mind.

Might not be according to Hoyle AVRT. I take whatever I like from whatever the source. Sounds like you have a pretty good handle on things.

Take care, Todd