Old 04-12-2013, 01:00 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
ephixia

Originally Posted by JJamie View Post
Psychiatrists failing to warn of side effects and withdrawal reactions, whats up with that ?

If I was told before hand about the side effects and nasty nastsy withdrawal reactions from those mood pills I took for a few months I would have made a different choice.

Isn't it like the law to tell the truth and inform patients of these things ?

I should have been told these pills have sexual side effects and if you take them for a wile you will / may suffer withdrawal reactions including anxiety attacks, insomnia from hell and that side effect of the munchies will be replaced with nausia and occasional vomitting if you ever stop taking them.

Fair play , honesty , truth . Is that to much to ask ?
I hear ya on the withdrawals. It took me a while, and two hospitalizations to finally discontinue them. It sucked, but things got a lot better after about 6 months off. Now it's almost a year and half. I feel so much more in control now. All I had to do was NOT repeat the same mistakes that landed me with bipolar in the first place. So I basically figured out my bipolar I. I'm actually quite impressed with myself. I wonder if there's something I should do to let others know how to figure it out too?

Again, about withdrawals - yeah, I wish docs would have not only told me up front about them, but also help me off. My current doc is the one who helped me off - and it wasn't easy.

I went to a bunch of docs before I found my current doc. All of the docs but my current doc said I'd be on meds for life. Glad I shopped around. I even saw him just today (3 months between visits). Although I don't get prescribed meds, he is a great person to give me objective evaluations. He's a pro and has lots of experience with mentall ill people, so it helps to bounce ideas off him. He strongly approves of my recovery approach and loves that it's worked so good.