View Single Post
Old 04-12-2013, 08:57 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Dib42

Originally Posted by shirlygirly View Post
Long story short, I'm only 20 days sober and my boyfriend of 1 1/2 years broke up with me. My drinking was not the cause of the breakup. He said I was more invested in the relationship than he was, and thought it was unfair to me to continue dating.

I'm 29-years-old. This is my first time in the program. I've been going to meetings every day and working the steps with a sponsor. Not sure how, but somehow I've managed to not drink over the breakup, and it's been three days since it happened.

I don't know what to do to get through this. I'm hurt and extremely angry. I've helped him through all of his problems, and he bailed when I needed him to help me through mine.

I'm an emotional wreck. My boss, who I absolutely despise, just called me into his office to discuss an important project. I started crying; it was awful. Meanwhile my ex is at his job, making a ton of money after starting his own business, which he wouldn't have started if I didn't give him the idea, the encouragement, the ******* business name, a logo, business cards and a website (I'm a graphic designer and web developer), so he could do what he loves for a living, surrounded by the Keurig and plants I bought him to help brighten up his new space.

I'm just stunned by how unfair this all is. He's walked away completely unscathed and on top of the world, while I'm at my absolute rock bottom, in more pain than I've ever experienced, completely alone. I just don't know how to manage the pain.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Before I offer any advice, I'd like to say that you are amazing! The fact that you haven't drank over the breakup is inspirational to me. Next time I'm thinking I'm having a bad day and I'm going to take a drink, I'll remember your story and it'll put my sorry excuse for a bad day in persepective. Thank you for that.

Breakups are always hard, and rarely is there a good time for it. Just remember the pain will go away with time. Also be thankful that this happened sooner than later, he sounds like a d**k and its good you didn't waste another couple years of your life with him.
You may have some kind of financial claim to his business, depending on the laws in your area.... but honestly, I'd just let all that go, and be happy to be done with it.

If the pain seems overbearing or doesn't start to subside in a few days, you could see a doctor and get something that'll dull it a bit.

But honestly, time is the best medicine for this. I had a really bad breakup several years ago, a 6 year long relationship ended, (mostly my fault) At first the pain was unbearable, I would have dreams that the breakup never happened, and I was a wreck at work, at home, everywhere. Then over time, the pain was less and less, and then it was gone, and I was actually kind of sad that it was gone, because it seemed like a relationship I invested that much into, should have hurt longer than that... but it didn't...

Time does wonders, but it works at its own pace.