Thread: Awful Day
View Single Post
Old 04-11-2013, 11:24 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  
DaveyT

Originally Posted by HuskyPup View Post
What makes me sad and angry is when people act like you're making it up, or you are somehow weak, like you should or must man up, and just suffer.

Well I have a diagnosed, provable condition so I've never been accused of making it up. The condition I have is known to cause pain and fatigue, along with some other unpleasant symptoms. Most people with my condition are on some form of painkillers.

Originally Posted by RobbyRobot View Post
And the pain of all the corrective surgeries, body plaster casts, from childhood and up. Yeah, I too have an amazingly high pain threshold.

I have been able to use meditation to really help with my pain challenges. I learned to place my pain sensations "elsewhere" while I stayed "present"

Takes some practice and a learning curve, bit very doable. You may choose to re-visit meditation techniques.

I have to say I wasn't trying to make it seem like I was tough or anything I hope it didn't come across that way. Yes I have a high pain threshold but I hope it didn't seem arrogant, I was just trying to provide something people can relate to.

I am very interested in your meditation techniques. I have meditated since I was 10, but I never looked into mindfulness or the techniques you use. If you could provide me some links, or book ideas, or just your own advice then I would be very interested. Because if it can reduce my pain without drugs then it's really worth trying.

I meditate daily but I think it provides only minimal benefit. In the end though my knowledge of the practice is limited to a few techniques and I'm always willing to learn more.