View Single Post
Old 04-11-2013, 10:51 AM
  # 113 (permalink)  
360shoes

Originally Posted by bepresent View Post
A good friend and I were talking about health recently, and I said that I'd stopped drinking indefinitely because of trying for a baby (not ready to label myself as alcoholic). Her response: "That's a bit extreme! You need to relax and enjoy a drink."
This is a very interesting subject to me. Could be my quest to understand people. I have found out something. The closest people in my life, the ones who really love me. I asked them how they truly felt about me and my drinking and how they felt about me quitting. Mind you this is 3 people. The ones who are stuck with me. None of which have a drinking problem. I asked them and actually begged them to be very honest. I told them I have to know. Even if it hurts. I got the realm of happy, scared, pissed, and I don't know just yet but I'm here for you no matter what and a lot of combination of all of it. I also asked them how would they feel if someone called me an alcoholic or I was threatened to outed as an alcoholic. Would they be prepared? Its probably going to happen. I don't care for that word but its probably going to get thrown out there eventually. These very 3 said they would defend me to the death and would open up one hell of a can of whoopa** on whoever could be so cruel. In full disclosure, these 3 would have also kicked someone's a** if someone called me a drunk..even though they knew I was one...but I was their drunk. <3 Start with those who have unconditional love I say...they are a safe way to practice this.

My loved ones don't have to understand all my struggles and actually I'm grateful they don't have to know all the gory details. I got you for that. But I need them to know I care about how they feel and I care how they really feel about me.

Now the opinions of those with their own drinking problem and how they really feel is a whole different subject. I doubt I would get the whole truth even if I did ask. I've been there. I've done it. I would say you have absolutely no problem please drink with me and then I would get all pissed off at you for making me even think about the subject. Party pooper.

And those who are just casual friends or acquaintances but not in the tight circle? If they ask, I'll just say whatever works to keep the mood of the situation light and positive. Doesn't matter beyond that. Plus they'd get their a** kicked if they take it too far. It feels good to know someone's got your back.