View Single Post
Old 04-11-2013, 10:37 AM
  # 70 (permalink)  
jkb

Originally Posted by Received View Post
I hear you, HRB. While I work on me I am very careful about putting myself in a situation that could potentially cause me to have extreme reactions. This is something I have had to do for several years now because of PTSD but there is a bit of a different twist when I look at it as a permanently abstinent drinker vs. AV/Beast/IT.

What I do know is, no matter what I'm feeling, where I've been or where I might be going, I will never drink again. So anytime the thought of "to hell with it, have a drink" hits my brain I immediately put on the brakes, recognize the thought as AV/Beast and realize it has no control over me. NONE. I can become a raving lunatic and I will never drink again. No matter how extreme or how mundane my thoughts and feelings might be, I will not drink ever.
I am working with a therapist so a lot of this "junk" (as I refer to it) is discussed. Working through past hurts, fear, guilt and all the stuff that come with those and other feelings is a process. But not drinking ever again? HAH! No matter what happens, that is a fact and it is awesomeness.
I love that only because I used to become a raving lunatic when my beast acted up. I would "entertain" thoughts of drinking to the point where I could focus on nothing else and then be even more angry I couldnt give in to the thoughts to make them shut up. Before you know it I was acting either withdrawn or (as my boyfriend says) like a CAB (crazy a** bi**h). In the last 30 days that has not happened.

I no longer give my beast the power to control my mood. Must agree that this is one of my new favorite threads....great idea Non