View Single Post
Old 04-11-2013, 10:32 AM
  # 69 (permalink)  
soberlicious

Location: "I'm not lost for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost ..."
Well, now there's the $64 question! Is that possible? I have been operating under the assumption that the beast's recommendations were out of my control. NOT acting on those suggestions is MY responsbility. Perhaps there is another way?
I do not think it's possible, nor is it necessary to "control" the thoughts, per se. Recognizing them, not acting on them, letting them pass, is enough. Long before reading about AVRT, I came upon the Buddhist idea that it is not desire itself that causes suffering, but rather our attention or action upon that desire that causes suffering. In Buddhism, the goal is not to rid oneself of desire, since that is seen as impossible. In fact, trying to do simply creates more suffering, but rather not attaching to it in any way. Sitting with it, seeing it for what it is, and letting it pass...before I read AVRT I recognized the AV as desire, so that's what I did. Buddhism also sees desire and or feelings as somewhat separate from oneself (except that there really is no "self"...but that's a different thread LOL) So the idea is not "I am sad", but rather "sadness is passing through me"...stuff like that...anyway, that's what helped me.

HRB, therapy has been so important to me. I saw my therapist fairly regularly for four years. I was determined not to stop at the first sign of things looking up, because I always did that before.

As received said, I addressed problems and serious stuff, but none of it had to do with drinking again. That part is done.