Thread: Awful Day
View Single Post
Old 04-11-2013, 08:09 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  
RobbyRobot
Adventures In SpaceTime

I have some empathy with you Davey. I've broken my leg bones and refused to go to hospital until the following day. I've broken my leg brace in the past, (jumping out of a tree) the metal breakage lodging in my calf.

And the pain of all the corrective surgeries, body plaster casts, from childhood and up. Yeah, I too have an amazingly high pain threshold.

I have been able to use meditation to really help with my pain challenges. I learned to place my pain sensations "elsewhere" while I stayed "present"

Takes some practice and a learning curve, bit very doable. You may choose to re-visit meditation techniques.

Like you, I stayed away from pain killers thru out my life, as they didn't really help, unless I played with them with alcohol, which is not smart. I played with them when still using back when I was really into drinking.

Once getting sober, I only used pain-killers for surgical procedures, and then would simply quit when the "surgical pain" was diminishing enough.

My last surgery back in August really helped in getting rid of a lot of my physical pains. I had my right leg amputated really high on the thigh, and I had most of the circa 1969 hardware taken out of my right hip too. These two procedures really helped reduce my pain load.

I'm a great believer in mind-over-pain experiences. Both physical and emotional / psychic pains too. It's really amazing what all of us can do when we put our heart and minds to a task.

I look forward to you having great results with your new medical and pain management consultants.

Take it easy, Davey.