View Single Post
Old 04-11-2013, 12:32 AM
  # 86 (permalink)  
bepresent

Originally Posted by 360shoes View Post
I'm amazed at how the time is kind of flying by now. First 2 weeks were hell. 3rd improved. 4th was easier not drinking but sometimes hard dealing with the reality of no where to run. But each time I have reality kick me in the butt, I've handled it. Not always well but I still did it and I'm getting better at doing it. Or actually I'm just figuring out it really isn't so bad being a grown up after all. It's manageable. Feeling pretty good here. Still have a handful of life problems to get through but I'm not too worried. It will be whatever it is suppose to be and there will always be a handful to deal with. In the last 41 days I have not had one day of shame or self loathing. Wasnt all joy plenty of it sucked but it has been all worth it. In retrospect, I would have volunteered to take on worse to receive what I'm feeling today. Time goes on.
Happy sober whatever day you have
Thanks Shoes, that's a pretty good summary for me too! It hasn't always been fun or easy, but it's been worth it. It certainly is worth continuing to work at in the long term.

Before I quit my mindset was: "Life sucks (oversimplification of course), but at least I can have a few glasses of wine at the end of the day."

Now it's: "Life sucks (again, oversimplification), but there are lots of things I can do to make it better - for both myself and others."

I too feel like the time is passing quickly now, and it's getting easier although certainly not always easy. It helps me so much to be in this community of like-minded people because I think to others (normal drinkers and those with a drink problem who don't want to stop) not drinking can seem like a strange life choice. A good friend and I were talking about health recently, and I said that I'd stopped drinking indefinitely because of trying for a baby (not ready to label myself as alcoholic). Her response: "That's a bit extreme! You need to relax and enjoy a drink." It's great to be around you folks who have the same goal. A burden shared is a burden halved and all that.... To quote North: big love to all you Marchers! <3

Sorry, very rambly this morning - have a good day / night, guys!