View Single Post
Old 04-08-2013, 03:58 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
SoberKnitter

I like to look at what the thoughts imply, or the thoughts behind the thoughts, if that makes sense.

For example, "That drink looks tasty," is, to my mind, obviously AV. I want to ingest things that look tasty, so the thought implies that I want to ingest the drink. "I wish I were a normal drinker" implies that drinking can be a positive experience for some people, and that I, too, would like to have a positive experience with alcohol. Someone with no feelings one way or the other about alcohol doesn't wish to be a normal drinker. Someone with a healthy aversion to alcohol certainly doesn't.

I view alcohol, when ingested, as dangerous and leading to ruin. Any thoughts that aren't congruent with my view of alcohol (e.g. "That drink looks tasty.") must be Its thoughts.

I think correctly attributing our thoughts matter, even in light of a BP. My AV really romanticizes alcohol, so, for me, I have to be really careful not to let it use first-person personal pronouns when it does that. There is no way that someone who has had my experiences could ever romanticize alcohol, so to attribute AV thoughts that do so to myself is to undermine the separation I have with the beast.