Thread: Robby's Thread
View Single Post
Old 04-07-2013, 08:44 AM
  # 338 (permalink)  
RobbyRobot
Adventures In SpaceTime

Soberlicious,

You don't actually declare that you use AVRT, as written out in RR, do you? And why is that?

How is that you are not a total AVRT kind of person? What is it that holds you back from a total commitment to AVRT? Isn't your holding back a source for Addictive Voice?

I am also a believer that experience, real live experience, trumps book pseudo experience time and time again. You really don't know what I mean, by experience of your own, when I say I do both AA and AVRT, do you? You can only deduce my meaning, and nothing more then, since you actually do not "do" either AA or AVRT.

Yes, I know. You've read up on them. Listened to others. Thought it all out. Still though, you don't commit enough to AVRT to say you actually use it, and AA you flat out think is unworkable.

Why should I respect what your saying, about my successful experiences with AA and AVRT, when you're really speaking from a place of inference, and not actually YOUR OWN experiences?

Originally Posted by soberlicious View Post
Well, there is another big difference, Robby, that you see a difference between abstinence and AA sobriety. The way I see it, you use the 12 steps to better your life the same way I study Buddhism to better mine.

People can and do stagnate all the time. It has nothing to do with whether one has ever been addicted. Not growing and learning would not take me back to the bottle, but it would certainly make me unhappy.

OK, Robby, I understand your explanation of what you got goin' on...all except this:
You said this...

and then you said this...
I understand that you see your AA sobriety and non-drinking as 2 different things, but I don't understand what you mean in the above statements.

I have always been what others consider agonostic, but it wasn't until I quit that I began to be able to fully embrace nontheism. Being a drunk wasn't blocking my spirituality, since I wasn't ever spiritual, but when I was a drunk, I was disconnected from others and from myself. That, for me, was the equivalent of what others would call "spiritually sick".

I don't consider myself an AAer nor an AVRTer even though I understand both paradigms. My mind does work in a more AVRTish way. I do however practice righting my wrongs, looking at my actions each day, and helping others and those are considered AAish things, but AA can't lay claim to the wisdom in the 12 steps, that's age old. Bill W just synthesized that wisdom and focused it toward ending addiction...Trimpey did the same.
For me one of the biggest differences is that AA is a "design for living"...AVRT is not. So in comparing them, it's like apples and oranges.