View Single Post
Old 04-04-2013, 12:21 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
petmagnet

I have the same situation, a husband that drinks after work. And yes, he is an Alcoholic. After a year or two of watching him drink at the bars, then to come home and continue to drink at home, in front of me and my 2 elementary aged kids at the time, I finally told him he was not welcome to drink here in front of our kids. He had no reason to be home if all he wanted to do was drink. He could stay at the bar for that purpose. So, he chose the bar and still does, but at least it's not in my face or my kids. We are all in bed when he staggers home. It's not the most ideal situation, but it was a boundary I needed to set. It's ironic- I used to try to keep him from leaving to go back out (because he knew going out was a threat to me) and drink in the beginning, now I just open the door, and say, see ya. I honestly, think he's sad he lost that control over me. None of us want to be with him when he's like that anyway. Boundaries are very important when dealing with an alcoholic spouse, and help with the detaching process.