Old 04-01-2013, 10:54 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
dancingnow

maybe OT maybe I'm too idealist or naive or maybe this is codependent behavior

RAH is about a year sober and doing fairly well in recovery although he sometimes seems to be hanging by his fingernails despite efforts to keep up with meetings.

My issue is that he has never really been honest with me and the kids about his drinking nor his recovery. When I say honest I mean openly talking about his struggle and how he is doing.

I bring this up because at dinner yesterday my oldest who is home from college was chatting away about how she is interested in hospitality and she thinks she might need to learn about wines and maybe there is a class she can take to learn about them and how to pair them with food, etc.

RAH didn't say much and I just made a few comments that there are plenty of ways to learn about what wines go with what foods. Today I contacted my daughter just to let her know that it's a bit of a tricky situation discussing alcohol because of RAH and to keep in mind that a conversation like that could go in the wrong direction, ie. RAH may decide to get further into that discussion and end up having some wine in the guise of helping her out.

She became angry with me calling to tell her this and I just simply said I just wanted to pass that information along to her as she may not totally understand what it is like to be an A.

Sometimes I feel like I am on the edge looking at every which way RAH may end up in a relapse. I know I am definitely not enjoying time with him that he is abstaining from alcohol.

Any thoughts or redirection for my thinking is appreciated.