Old 04-01-2013, 09:00 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
newtoitall

Hi Lily,

I can relate but from the position of your boyfriend. My childhood was one of privilege on many levels, but now that I'm older I realize that money and status don't mean much when talking about family, friends and mutual respect. Growing up in that environment comes with pressure and expectations, often unspoken, and if you chose not to place a high value on social status, you are judged. I know I have been.

My sister has always had relationships with men who my parents instantly approved of. They came from "good" families, were successful and wealthy. They have always been welcomed and used as a reference point for the type of partners I should want.

The woman I've been seeing for over a year comes from a very different background. Her youth was challenging in ways I could never understand. She came from a very low income family, dealt with addiction and struggles I never saw in my sheltered youth. My parents and sister simply can't get past the fact that she is so open and unappologetic about her past. Her and I talk about everything and we both see it. But that said, I'm judged by here family as well. While they are happy for us and are certainly warmer towards me, I can tell there are lingering questions and at times they can't understand why she's with me. But the main difference is that they are curious about me as a person, not my social standing or how their friends will view me. They simply want their daughter to be happy, as long as we are, they are happy for us.

People form opinions and pass judgements for so many different reasons and you can't be concerned with it. If it ever becomes a situation where you feel disrespected, it needs to be discussed and possibly addressed, but the acceptance of your partner is the most important thing.

Not sure how much help that is, just know that your partner obviously sees you for who you are and that means everything.