Old 04-01-2013, 04:45 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
LexieCat
A work in progress

I know a lot of the "ritual" stuff in Al-Anon can seem off-putting until you get used to it, and understand it. The meetings are intended to help you apply the Al-Anon Steps and underlying principles to your life. They aren't feedback sessions or group therapy. You can get feedback from other members one-to-one before or after (or in between) meetings.

We all have similar, though unique, problems in our lives and relationships. What might be a good practical solution for a particular situation might be different for one person than it is for another. The PRINCIPLES, though, of the Steps can be applied to virtually any situation--and not only those involving the alcoholic. Once you get a good understanding of those, you can run most problems "through the Steps" and figure out what to do that is best for YOU and your personal situation.

It's sort of like the difference between getting advice (being given a fish) and learning how to solve problems yourself (learning how to fish). The readings and discussion are to deepen your understanding of the Steps so you can improve your own life.

As for the opening/closing prayers, you don't have to participate. You can stand quietly and respectfully silent. I felt weird about them at first, too, because I'm not such a touchy-feelie person, myself. My comfort level with it increased, though, and I now find it a "nice way of closing."