Old 04-01-2013, 01:18 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Lily1918

I just need to vent.... yet again.... **culture shock issues**

Ok, where to start? I come from the wrong side of the tracks. I grew up, and have always lived in the hood (ya know... the bad part of town.) My family is, and has always been lower middle class.
We are just like the Weasleys from Harry Potter. Almost exactly. Say what you think. (Yes, the weasleys are british but its besides the point) be who you are. Screw being polite. Always in apartments and trailer parks. The difference between wants and needs materialistically. (although not perfect, especially emotionally, and my mom and sister did and still do confuse their addictions as a need not a want.) Give extra to the poor, well poor-er I guess. Typical Irish family. Except my mom and I are the only gingered freckled ones, my sisters are raven haired an porcelain skinned because of their dad, but the celtic culture is very much alive in us. Hence my love of folklore.

This guys family, on the other hand, comes from the nice part of town. Their house is a museum. They accept "me" but they all put on faces. They never show their true emotions. They always are a part of "putting on the face" They are rarely just..... real.

I was invited to the grand ballroom easter luncheon today and left it feeling ... well ...drained.
It was like something right out of the Princess Diaries. They are intrigued as to why their boy would choose someone from a different social class. Its just so hard.

I know what they think of me is none of my business, but it just feels like a culture clash. I just cant tipple champagne and talk about the weather. I felt like Rose in Titanic.

My BF hasn't made me feel this way I would like to think I don't have to put on a face with him. He claims to be intrigued by my "flowerchild" mentality.

How can I be a Christian and yet love celtic folklore and Harry Potter!? Witchcraft is the devil. Teaching my daughter about unicorns and dragons.... oh the horror!! -_-

Ugh. Frustrated and venting.

Infuriated to be scolded for teaching my daughter folklore in addition to parables from the Bible. I just cannot imagine a childhood without faerie tales. I simply CANNOT let my celtic heritage die. These fables have been passed down from generation to generation. From great grandma to grams to me.

Harry Potter has taught me sooooo much! I grew up with it! It has given me soooooo much strength. Just look at Lily Evans and Hermione Granger! Such powerful and strong women!

Ugh. I think I handled it well on the outside. I didnt voice it to them this way. I simply replied to their scoldings with " I want to keep the culture of our family alive.I tell her It is just make believe, but I also believe that legends and faerie tales are lessons, and many of them do in fact communicate Biblical truth but in a way that an imaginative child would enjoy, similar to the Narnia series. D tells me He read all of those as a boy, but I do appreciate your opinions."

Their reply " you arent Irish youre American. You dont even have an accent"

Oh... well exuse me... 'ould u ather me talk like a leprechan?? Dats allll we iredish beee aye? Ugh! Aye nearly bit me tongue off. hahaha

Ugh the list goes on and on and on. I felt like when they invite Jack to the fancy dinner and then mock him for his social status.

Feeling hurt and resentful.

But I didnt allow it to ruin the day. I had a beautiful easter morning at church. Hunted eggs with the kids. Had a couples counselling session with my bf, and he expressed similar culture clash feelings with my family, and struggles with not needing to have a mask painted on, and feels judged for coming from the other side of the tracks as well. We are both in very similar, although opposite boats. We did have our first sober argument today because of the differences between our families and cultures, but we parted on good terms, thanks to our counsellor and some good scripture and recovery readings.

Ok. Done venting. It really was just a couple of tiny blips on an overall bright day, but it does feel so good to let it all out here. It really is all about acceptance, isn't it?