View Single Post
Old 04-01-2013, 12:20 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Jeni26

Mattcake, thank you so much for sharing that. Yes, my therapist is indeed keen to work on establishing my adult state. She said until that is firmly in place, I'm too vulnerable to look back in any great detail. I need to practice new ways of looking at things and handling situations. Sometimes I think I'm doing ok, but then something comparatively minor can trigger what I call one of my 'meltdown moments'. Last weekend, I almost picked up a drink again.
I'm keen to move forward with this, and I will work hard at it under her guidance.
Yeah, I'm prepared for the difficult and painful bit, but I do live with such awful nighttime anxiety and insomnia, that staying as I am no longer seems a viable option.
As she said to me in my last session....can anything that happens to you as an adult be as bad as what happened to you then? I thought long and hard about that...but no it can't. Because today I have choices, and I have a voice.

Thanks Matt

JJamie-no I'm not worrying about confronting my abuser or reporting it to anyone at all.
I was responding to you when you shared your experience of not wanting to share aspects because of that fear of psychiatric services being contacted.
My therapist made it clear that my confidentiality would be respected, and anything I said would remain between us (unless she feared for the safety of a child, which of course is paramount and overrides anything).
I just think if those parameters are made clear before counselling starts, you might feel more trustful and secure.

Thanks guys x