Old 03-28-2013, 08:30 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
JJamie

I writing to these websites. I am almost positive they are not allowed to do abusive stuff to trauma and rape victims. I will find out.

Here is more stuff I found, quoted below.

" This becomes more of an issue as mental health professionals begin to address how to treat abuse survivors, particularly on an inpatient basis. Indeed, the "trauma models" they use often appear much more humane and respectful of the person than do traditional approaches to people with psychiatric diagnoses, and some who specialize in this area believe the new paradigm should dominate the field, regardless of what has brought a person to a mental health crisis. However, as psychiatry gains a foothold in the area, a new division of "patients" can be seen: trauma survivors, with diagnoses like Dissociative Identity Disorder (DID) and Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD) vs.(and sometimes co-occurring with) more standard diagnoses of mental illness. In this context, the system continues to employ inhumane methods, such as forced medications or restraints, with some diagnosed persons, while an effort is made to avoid "retraumatizing" others.

This division is disturbing to C/S/Xs who see a new hierarchy of oppression forming before their eyes after years of fighting for the full human rights of all who cross the path of the mental health system. They do not wish to see two groups of diagnosed individuals set up in opposition to each other, one treated with concern and compassion because of their trauma histories, the other treated in coercive, inhumane ways because they are thought to have a biological illness. "

If you want to read all of it >> National Association of State Mental Health Program Directors [NASMHPD] | Welcome!