Thread: SO in denial
View Single Post
Old 03-28-2013, 07:55 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Talltrees

Originally Posted by Recovering2 View Post
It's hard when you have no control over family members you love. I had to detach from my brother and parents. I love them all, but can't be part of the chaos that is their lives.

Curious...if your Dad comes to visit do you intend to let him drink in your home? That IS a boundary you can set for you.
I guess I didn't have a plan. This may sound strange (or maybe not at all), but even though he's had sobriety time and admitted his problem at one point in his life, I don't think he acknowledges it anymore. Both of my parents drink everywhere they go, including my house during their very rare visits, and I ignore it because it's easier to play along than to call them out and start an argument. I've told my husband I want to have a sober household when they visit, since in the past I've been upset with my parents' behavior when they visit (driving back to the hotel drunk [they will say they're not drunk or "okay to drive"] with my brother and sister--two eight year-olds--in the car; showing up after noon the next day when we had plans to meet much earlier so they could spend time with my two toddlers). For a while it bothered me so much that I wanted to go no-contact, but I want to see my brother and sister (the eight year-olds).

My husband replied with my same thoughts: We could just not drink when they are here, but he's not comfortable asking them not to drink, and neither am I really. At least not my dad.

So as of now, my boundaries include:

-Not waiting around for them to get out of bed in the morning--I will just take my kids (and my brother and sister if I can), and have fun without my parents.[/I]
-Insisting that the twins stay here if my parents choose to drive under the influence. (Still worried about how that one will play out, since I've never tried it. They only visit once or twice a year.)

It would just be so much easier if either of them acknowledged that they are being unsafe. I always let them convince me that I'm being a jerk, in the moment.