Thread: SO in denial
View Single Post
Old 03-27-2013, 12:00 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Talltrees

SO in denial

I talked to my dad on the phone today. Just a normal phone call about normal stuff---when they're coming to visit next, do they want to go to Six Flags, we finished the basement guest room, etc. I talked to my little brother first. He said he's quitting his job and moving out of state. It's whatever, since he's always got strange and extreme plans that may or may not happen. He says he thinks he's going to be fired from his job and wasn't clear about the reason. When I talked to my dad, he said he was surprised they didn't fire him over all the "incidents" that had occurred. I asked what that meant, and apparently this is a joke between my dad and brother, because my dad said (with my brother in the room, commenting in the background) "This idiot backed his car into a fire hydrant at work." I said, "You mean he was drinking?" My dad laughed and said "Of course he was drinking."

I mentioned that was a pretty stupid thing to do, and my dad commented that, Yeah, even he hasn't done that in a while himself. I mentioned again how stupid it is for anyone to do it and it's an easy way to F up your life forever, and he said "Well there are plenty of ways to F up your life anyway. And it's no big deal if you take backroads" and proceded to tell me why.

I know my brother drinks too much and have seen him do some stupid and obnoxious stuff and treat people badly when he drinks, but I didn't know he was driving drunk. AND I didn't know my dad, a former member of AA, now off the wagon, was around my brother all the time exemplifying the idea that this is acceptable behavior.

I am FRUSTRATED. I hate it when my dad treats me as though I should agree with the absurd things he says. Like I don't belong because I'm a "goody-goody."

I guess I really can't call this news. I've seen the way my little brother drinks and I suspected that he was headed to the same place as the rest of my family. I just think he would be a lot better off if they weren't so OKAY WITH IT! I really wanted him to be the one to fight this disease, or avoid it. We used to be so close. How can anyone have a chance in a family with parents who aren't even bothered by it.

AAAAHHH!

Not hoping for a certain response, unless anyone can pull a sober family out of a magic hat. Just needed to say AAAAAAHHH!