Thread: Robby's Thread
View Single Post
Old 03-27-2013, 10:43 AM
  # 246 (permalink)  
Received

Originally Posted by soberlicious View Post
snipped for relevance by Received

Making my life as fulfilling as possible is important to me, but I do not base my "sobriety" on that. I am well aware that things beyond my control can happen in life, catastrophic things. If all comes crashing down, I don't want to drink again because my quality of life is suddenly altered. Remaining abstinent no matter what means that I can always rebuild, tweak, learn, grow, change. It means that I can have the quality of life I desire. So if I am involved in a discussion about learning how to quit drinking, I do separate that from quality of life. On purpose.
As importantly to me, sometimes this thing called "quality" of life can be altered in the blink of an eye and what once was "quality" of life becomes just trying to stay alive, sometimes literally moment to moment. Loss of money, possessions and status gone in an instant.

And I so agree with you; discussing how to quit drinking, for me had nothing to do with the quality of my life as it is currently. This was not always true for me as I was indoctrinated for many years into believing the two MUST be intertwined or I would drink again. So many things I HAD to do or I would drink again and I believed it and guess what? I drank again.

What I now know, what I always suspected but was to afraid to question is that is just NOT TRUE. Never drinking again is no longer contingent on anything. Life changes, never drinking again will not.