Thread: Robby's Thread
View Single Post
Old 03-27-2013, 10:08 AM
  # 244 (permalink)  
soberlicious

Location: "I'm not lost for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost ..."
There are certainly people who refuse help and choose what would not be considered quality of life for me. But that is their choice, not mine. I believe that people have the right to choose to drink themselves to death, if they wish. Sad? Absolutely. But it is not up to me.

If someone asks me how I quit drinking, I tell them. If someone asks me what makes me happy, I tell them that too. I don't think there is a set "quality of life" template that one could follow, although I do understand that many use the AA fellowship for that and I think that's great.

I have a friend that has 4 children of her own and they adopted 3 more children with special needs. She has created the life she wants. It is rich and fulfilling to her. I, on the other hand, have no desire to have 7 children. That is not "quality" to me.

Making my life as fulfilling as possible is important to me, but I do not base my "sobriety" on that. I am well aware that things beyond my control can happen in life, catastrophic things. If all comes crashing down, I don't want to drink again because my quality of life is suddenly altered. Remaining abstinent no matter what means that I can always rebuild, tweak, learn, grow, change. It means that I can have the quality of life I desire. So if I am involved in a discussion about learning how to quit drinking, I do separate that from quality of life. On purpose.