Thread: Robby's Thread
View Single Post
Old 03-27-2013, 06:40 AM
  # 236 (permalink)  
RobbyRobot
Adventures In SpaceTime

Yeah, I can rephrase. There are many examples in life.

For example:

The guy who keeps working at a job he hates because quitting it would be even worse. But when he talks he complains how if others would do this or that he would be okay with his job. Result: yeah, but they won't do it his way, so all the talk is really a window into the lousy quality of his work life and it's okay, because he can share with others who feel the same, and collectively they feel justified. Individually they feel miserable.

Another example:

The guy who doesn't know how to value dating because he can't forgive his ex for kicking him out of her life, and so can't see his side of the equation in the relationship. From his way of thinking, every girl he's known simply doesn't take the time to know him, and they always give up on him before he can make things right. They just don't give him a fair break, the way he see's it.

Result: yeah, but since sustained intimacy requires sincerity and revelation to work as a glue in a relationship, and since our guy thinks he can't give what he doesn't have for himself, and they'll never give him a good enough chance from the start, so he'll just keep his resentments and play his cards close to his chest so that he doesn't get fooled again. He talks and shares with others how he just doesn't get how women can be so hard to understand. He and his friends earnestly agree, and they chat amongst themselves while riding the train to nowhere. No real stops on that train. Just have to jump while its still moving. Our guy has never jumped off but he talks how he is open to relationships with women because he knows that someone special is out there. So this guy is just another guy who doesn't understand women is his collective un-experienced experience.

And finally:

The guy who says he knows what he has to do, but doesn't do it, because he just can't get past changing up his life to get the thing done. He enjoys his life, he just wants to stop drinking. He loves his job, his wife and family, his friends, and himself. He just drinks too much, and can't believe he can't stop for himself, and can't believe quitting has to be such a big deal anyways.

Result: yeah, and there will always be those who tell him, "yeah sure, my man, like us you just drank for pleasure, everything else is good, right? Yeah, so just know you can do this. Just quit. No matter where your life is or isn't, it doesn't have anything to do with your life. Just quit. And keep trying too, if you think you can't quit, because trying is just as good as doing it. Forget about failures. No matter what you do, trying will always make it right as long as you don't give up. No such thing as failure. You're a winner even if you think you're not! Just believe!

And so our guy joins in and they back-slap and cajole themselves along, always trying, never giving up. And when someone does drink again, no big deal, its all still good. And when someone continues to drink following that again drink, its like okay still not a big deal, you can turn this around just don't give up. And when the person does give up, they are then told, you're not being honest with yourself, your believing lies about yourself, you can do this, just quit again. And keep trying. Just don't quit trying.

=======

Okay. So I expect not a lot of agreement with my examples. My point is none of those examples requires an examination of the quality of life before drinking, during drinking, and after drinking. And yet if quality of life is a non-issue, then what is left that is important enough to sustain an enjoyable nourishing happy life?

I'm saying more answers exist in the seeking of a quality of life then in seeking a certain method or way to quit alcohol forever. The life lived is more important then the life lost trying to get into the life lived.