View Single Post
Old 03-26-2013, 04:12 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
freshstart57
Self recovered Self discovered

Originally Posted by Received View Post
Hey freshstart. Sometimes when my AV starts in and won't shut it's ugly, pathetic mouth, I get a bit anxious so make myself busy, eat a bit of something, walk or maybe even nap. That's ME influencing my actions, and not it, right? Or is it the anxiety of not drinking I'm experiencing? Or both, or ???
Received, I can't know the inside of your noggin, but I think that it is your AV that's anxious about not getting its bottle. Here is what I do - instead of trying to ignore it or wrestle with it or argue with it, I turn the tables on it. I bring the light of my focus up high and stare at it - this is the recognition aspect of AVRT. It isn't me that is anxious, it is the whining miserable beast / parasite. It helps me to understand that it is doing what it needs to, and I am doing what I need to. The clincher is that I get to pick, I get to choose, and I have decided. I don't drink and I won't change my mind. Booyah.

It is a good idea too to be gentle with yourself. Understand that you are doing a difficult thing and you need to support your fine self here. So eat well, rest, get some exercise, some fresh air and sunshine. Start feeding your psyche by doing things that require and build mastery. The days of failure and regret are over.

You are badass, and by quitting the booze you have demonstrated that you have loads of abilities, and you now get to put them to use. To your use. Time to start to BE that wholly unique and incredible person that is you.

Bravo.