View Single Post
Old 03-26-2013, 06:58 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
fantail
now's the time

DD -- I feel similarly. AA's not my thing for similar reasons to you. And I have zero, zero interest in talking to my friends and family about this. I'm sure I will someday, but right now the topic is not on the table. Even though I know that they all know I drank too much... I'm not ready to have this whole thing integrated into my social personality.

That said, I have told everyone around me that I'm not drinking right now, and I recommend you do the same. It's just too hard to be pretending to drink.

For me, I'm just lying through omission, basically. I told everyone I was stopping for a few months (true, although I'm stopping for more) because I was curious about what it would be like (true, although a major understatement) and because I'm going through a transitional period and want to experience it with a clear mind (that part at least is 100% true).

Maybe you can find a similar half-truth that allows you to be open and also a bit guarded about it at the same time. Or even a straight out lie about your motivations ("I read an article about how people are allergic to alcohol and don't even realize it!" "I read that alcohol can cause insomnia!") could help... it's a lie in service of helping you be a bit more honest with the people around you, I think it's worth it.