Old 03-25-2013, 11:51 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
SoberKat9

Originally Posted by JohnYEC View Post
It's so cool to know that there are people that are going through the same thing as me! Day 15, (must be day 25 by now, sorry I took so long to reply) that is good!

Are you trying to quit forever? Do you think that is the only way? I sometimes have an issue with thinking that I will never drink again. I'm not sure if I want to quit forever. I would like to be able to drink on certain occasions that call for celebration, I just don't want to drink habitually every day. Is that just wishful thinking? In your experience, is it possible for an alcoholic to drink in very strict moderation?
John, I think most alcoholics all wish we could be moderate drinkers. I had a year and a half of sobriety and my life was so great then. I was the thinnest and healthiest I had ever been, and was just happy. But I thought that I could control my drinking better than I thought since I had just decided to quit one day and do it.

It wasn't long before old patterns came back. Truth is, I can't moderate. I'm an alcoholic and abstinence is the best thing for me.

I don't try to overwhelm myself by thinking about forever. I just am taking it a day at a time. Each day I don't drink is a win. Tomorrow I will hit Day 30. :-)