Old 03-25-2013, 07:45 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
JohnYEC

Originally Posted by SoberKat9 View Post
Welcome John. I've been trying to quit for about 4 years myself. Longest period of sobriety was a year and a half, followed by my latest 2 year drinking run. Now I'm starting over again and on day 15. This time, I really truly want to quit.

I consider myself a functional alcoholic as well, and can relate. While my drinking hasn't put my job in jeopardy I have called in sick because I was hungover and. I know my work production isn't as high when I drink the night before. So at some point, if I don't stop, it will affect my job.

I too used to just drink all day on the weekends, especially during football season. I loved my Sundays of football and beer. Hated the Monday hangover and the eating bad greasy food to make myself feel better.

Don't know if I have specific advice, but if you want to quit, seek help. This site is great, and I know many people find AA very helpful as well.

We all have the power to quit. For me, I had to accept that the only thing I have control over is whether or not I drink. If I choose alcohol, then alcohol controls me.
It's so cool to know that there are people that are going through the same thing as me! Day 15, (must be day 25 by now, sorry I took so long to reply) that is good!

Are you trying to quit forever? Do you think that is the only way? I sometimes have an issue with thinking that I will never drink again. I'm not sure if I want to quit forever. I would like to be able to drink on certain occasions that call for celebration, I just don't want to drink habitually every day. Is that just wishful thinking? In your experience, is it possible for an alcoholic to drink in very strict moderation?